Bangerwatch: Renault 11 Turbo

French performance cars from the 1980s just look better when they’re painted black and come complete with yellow fog lights. Throw in a red pinstripe around the plastic bits and add some shouty red decals and we may as well be in petrolhead heaven.

Not since the Renault Fuego Turbo have we seen such gloriously over-the-top side decals on a car.

I therefore give you, the Renault 11 Turbo.

Renault 11 Turbo for sale

This particular example is currently on sale for the princely sum of £500 and in my book, it’s worth that just for the yellow fog lights. But as the seller admits, it needs attention and is being sold for repair or spare parts. But with only seven examples currently roaming the streets of Britain and a further 31 laid up, presumably in someone’s front garden, it needs to be rescued. You’ll be able to make a little bit of money back through selling the hideous aftermarket alloys and if the stainless steel exhaust is a horror story, sell that too. You can then get to work on the inevitable electrical issues as well as hunting down any signs of rot.

The ad can be seen here.

In the meantime, check out the wonderfully eccentric and slightly surreal TV ad for the 11 Turbo. The creative team who put the ad together were obviously under the influence of something when they put this together as, amongst other things, it features dancing petrol pumps and talking street lights. Also, check out the scene at 20 seconds as I think we need to establish what the car in front is. The amount of smoke isn’t necessarily a good sign.

But in general, I think the overriding message we need to take from the ad is that drinking and drugs simply don’t mix. In the meantime, I shall be contacting Shell to ask them to install dancing petrol pumps. Might help to get over the boredom of waiting for someone to do their weekly shop as you wait to fill up.

Anyone fancy taking the plunge on the Renault 11 Turbo? It may not have quite as much retro coolness as the 11 Electronic, but come on, it’s black, it has red decals and just look at the yellow fogs. Go on, do it…

comments

1. August 7, 2011
    Rafael

Been Spain, car-speaking, a rather sad country, the 11 Turbo had a mild sucess (like almost every banger Renault built in the ´80s), although it couldn´t beat its smaller brother, the 5 GT Turbo. Those 11 Turbos that survived “saturday nights´close encounters on the third lamp post” sell for good money (3,000-6,000 euros!!) but very few of them are in unmolested condition.

• August 7, 2011

More good info from PetrolBlog’s Spanish corespondent! You should consider a permanent feature on the site! 😉

3-6k euros is good money. Sounds a bit like the UK, where many cars were either horrendously modified or wrapped around a tree. Shame.

2. September 3, 2011
    Eric Stratten

Wrapped round lamposts? The only way you could do with that an 11 Turbo would be to replace the wheels with castors. I had two 11Ts back in the day, both of which uncommonly tolerant of my ham-fisted efforts to become the local public road tarmac rally champion. I never came close to unsticking either of them. Oh, and they totally mullered Golf GTIs, XR3is etc.

If only I could get my hands on an unmolested example………………..

• September 3, 2011

And the 11 was infinitely cooler than the competition too.

Good luck finding an unmolested example – a worthy cause!

• September 4, 2011
        Eric Stratten

The 11, especially the meaner looking phase 1 car, was indeed a very cool mode of transport back in the days when shoulder pads weren’t just worn by Gridiron players. The 19 16v – in hatch form and particularly in Sports Blue – was even cooler car, I reckon. If only it had had more mid-range urge: a turbo version would have been ideal.

3. September 26, 2011
    David Milloy

Just spotted another one:

Non-standard alloys and a grubby looking interior, but should come with a year’s MOT.

Must………………………try…………………………….to……………………………resist

• September 27, 2011

Oh, good find!

No….you….must…..not…resist….please….buy….it…..now.

Thank you.

4. September 27, 2011
    Joseph

How can anyone not like cars like this? I was born in the wrong decade (1992). Nice car, but I want a Volvo 360 GLT.

• September 27, 2011

Good man. Real-wheel drive Volvo for the win.

I have to say, for a 19 year old, I’m beginning to realise through your comments that you’re a chap of fine taste! Welcome to PetrolBlog! 😉

5. September 27, 2011
    Joseph

Thanks. Good to find a website with like-minded car lovers as well. I’ll add it to my Favourites bar!

• September 27, 2011

As I’ve said before, we’re a small but enthusiastic bunch!

Thanks for adding.

6. October 19, 2011
    Alan Thompson

Only those who have experienced 11 turbo’s will understand. I have owned 4 and won road rally championships as a navigator in one. Seriously underestimated car – I have had 911 owners pull into services behind me asking what was under the bonnet.

• October 20, 2011

High praise indeed. Do you fancy rescuing one today then?!

• December 30, 2011

Nice!

Would sell those TSWs straight away and spend the money refurbishing the Speedlines.