PetrolBlog introduces…Dawn Refuelling

I’ve always fancied going along to the Goodwood Breakfast Club. The thought of a good hearty breakfast, a line up of great cars and a chat with fellow petrolheads, all in one of the country’s most evocative motoring venues has a certain appeal. But given my location and circumstances, a 4am start is just a little bit too much to handle, even for an ardent petrolhead like me. Shame.

But then I had a thought. If I can’t make it to Goodwood, why can’t I make Goodwood come to me? Sadly, Lord March wasn’t too keen on me packing up the circuit and surrounding buildings and heading west, so I’m planning on doing the next best thing. I tentatively and optimistically introduce, Dawn Refuelling. A kind of Goodwood Breakfast Club for the south west, only without a motoring heritage, a circuit, Lord March, the South Downs and any kind of momentum. But small acorns and all that.

Dawn Refuelling on PetrolBlog

The idea is simple enough. Meet up with fellow petrolheads for a dawn raid, then head along some of the region’s finest driving roads. Then at the end, everyone regroups for a hearty breakfast, a strong coffee and some petrolhead chat. It certainly appeals to me, so I hope it will appeal to others. If not, I’ll guess I’ll have the roads to myself.

I’m delighted to say that the National Trust has offered the fantastic Castle Drogo on Dartmoor as the finishing point / venue for each dawn raid. Conveniently located in the heart of the region, Castle Drogo was the last castle to be built in England and is surrounded by some great roads. It also happens to have a large car park and a wonderful restaurant serving breakfasts from 8.30am in the morning. I’ve been promised bacon and egg baps, bacon sandwiches, sticky buns and some proper coffee.

The plan is to test the Dawn Refuelling idea on Sunday July 17th. We’ll probably meet at Exeter Services on the M5 at 7am and then head over to Castle Drogo via some good driving roads for 8.30am. Alternatively, folk can just turn up at Drogo for breakfast and chat. I’d expect people to start leaving around 11/11.30am, leaving the rest of the day to spend with the family.

Like I say, I have no idea how well this idea will be received, but all being well I’d plan to roll it out monthly. In my opinion the south west needs to offer a little more to petrolheads. Hopefully Dawn Refuelling can plug a gap. Everyone is welcome, even drivers of Shatchbacks. This isn’t about speed, loud stereos or concours winning cars, this is about driving enjoyment and petrol-fuelled chat. There’s no charge for attendance, but you’ll have to pay for your own fuel and breakfast!

Let me know your thoughts. Follow @PetrolBlog on twitter for the latest updates or @MajorGav as usual. Alternatively, get in touch at dawnrefuelling[at]petrolblog.com or on Facebook. If there’s enough support I’ll firm up the details over the coming days. But in the meantime, assume that I for one will be waiting, probably in the AX GT, at Exeter Services at 7.30am on the 17th July. Alternatively, see you at Drogo for refuelling.

Thanks for reading.

comments

1. June 17, 2011
    Mike Lemon

Yes, yes, and more yes! I shall see you there! Well, that’s 2 of us then at Exeter Services for 7am…

• June 18, 2011

Excellent Mike. With two people, that means we can class it as a meet!

2. June 18, 2011
    GreatestDrivingRoads

A thrash over the moors? Make that 3 🙂

• June 18, 2011

Nice one sir!

3. June 18, 2011
    Chris Auty

Goddamit! Would have to leave at around 2am from the darkest depths of Nottinghamshire to make it down there in time. That really would be too much for my sleep-deprived body to cope with.

Great idea though, and I hope it really takes off.

• June 18, 2011

2am is a bit rude for a Sunday morning. If Dawn Refuelling heads north, we’ll let you know!

4. June 20, 2011
    Rob King

Bacon and coffee? I’m most certainly in!

• June 20, 2011

Nice one Rob. Question is, what car will you be driving?!

5. June 20, 2011
    steve

Hi Guys, This all sounds good ! Some good drivin roads, with bacon butties for energy !! Mmmm
    But not as serious as “Some” petrol head gatherings you see on-line. I will be there !!!!!
    I drive a MX5 & have several sports & kit car owners friends. Im sure they can be tempted, too !!
    Steve.

• June 20, 2011

Great stuff Steve – thanks for the support. As you say, not too serious – just a low-key event with the focus on chat and breakfast!

6. June 20, 2011
    david towers

Would love to attend as well. Will be in a Merc Sl500 or an MX5 or possibly a Metro. I have eclectic taste (or lack of) – looking forward to it.

• June 20, 2011

Any of those would be good! Would love to see the Metro, of course!

7. June 22, 2011
    Christine

We look forward to seeing you at Castle Drogo for amaizing bacon butties and seriously good coffee

Christine and the team at Drogo

8. July 4, 2011
    scotty

Sounds like a good day, i will come along in my Renault 21 turbo quadra, and maybe get a couple more to come along.. after the butties maybe go for a drive as some great roads on the way to princetown……. Thanks to steve for letting me know…..cheers…

• July 4, 2011

Excellent! Be great to see your 21!

9. July 4, 2011
    ryan davey

hiya guys looking good for another 21 turbo,me n the mrs will be there in my 2wd phs2.

• July 4, 2011

Sweet. Lots of love for the 21 on PetrolBlog. Might need to do a specific article on them…

• July 4, 2011
        ryan davey

thanks for the welcome,look forward to meeting you soon.

10. July 17, 2011
    scotty

Cheers all for a good meet and a great drive, look forward to the next one, hopefully it will be dry, even though the 21 quadra likes the wet stuff. Cheers………..scott

• July 17, 2011

Thanks for making it along. Was a genuine delight to have a couple of Renault 21s on the meet. An awesome sight seeing the yellow fogs in the rear view mirror.

See you on the next meet and I’ll be in touch re the 21 article. All the best.

11. July 17, 2011
    steve

Major Gav…… It was good to meet the new faces/cars today.
    Really pleasing on such a damp morning !! A good selection of cars, too.
    Lets get together again soon
    Steve

• July 17, 2011

Thanks, Steve.

There will be a second event, so I’ll see you then. I’ll bring the AX GT so we can compare fog lights! 😉